Wednesday, March 25, 2015
Thursday, August 1, 2013
To get started I used a Pinot Grigio kit. I chose this kit because it's a white wine and they usually can be consumed a lot earlier than red wines. Most reds need to age at least 6 months before you open one and try it. The Pinot kit was a little over $100 but it makes thirst 750ml bottles of good table wine so it works out to be between $3-4 per bottle which isn't too shabby considering you'll pay double that at a wine shop for the cheapest stuff they have. Now, this wine will not sit up against a $50 bottle. It will however hold its on in the $15-$20 range.
The process is rather simple. Clean and sanitize a fermenter that is at least 6 gallons. You need the headspace for fermentation and also for some additional water later on. Once you have a clean and sanitized fermenter, you just add the juice from the bag in and add whatever water the instructions tell you. To be honest the instructions actually are quite good with these kits. Add in the packet of dry yeast and seal the bucket with a lid and airlock full of sanitizer. At this point just let the bucket sit for a week or so at room temperature. Fermentation will begin and you'll notice air bubbles coming from the airlock and you'll be able to smell the wine through the airlock usually.
The instructions say after a week or so to check the gravity with a hydrometer. The next step (which is the step I am on right no with this kit) is to transfer the wine off the yeast into another clean and sanitized fermenter. I did that Sunday and it ended up looking pretty cloudy. In a day or two however so far this week the top half of the wine has cleared and looks more polished. I will do the next steps this weekend which involve adding a little water and then some of the stabilizers and clarifiers. One thing I really like about these kits is they have little to no sulfates for preservatives. That's the stuff that usually gives you a headache when you drink wine. I'll post up again when I do the next racking with some pictures of the product.
Tuesday, July 30, 2013
90 minute boil
16.50lb US 2-row 94% (did not specify the maltster)
1.0lb Crystal 60 6%
1.0oz Warrior 17% at 90'
0.25oz Amarillo 11% at 15'
0.25oz CTZ 15% at 15' (Columbus, Tomahawk or Zeus)
0.67oz Amarillo at 0'
0.67oz CTZ at 0' (Columbus, Tomahawk, Zeus)
WLP400 - Belgian Wit Ale Yeast
The brewer added 0.21oz gypsum to the mash and 0.42oz gypsum to the boil.
Tuesday, November 20, 2012
The Porter finished up nice and clean. The final gravity is still a few days away from truly being final so I think I will let it rest for another week or two before I keg it up.
I plan to use Gelatin with this keg to try to drop out and flocculate out a lot of the sediment that is leftover. I have seen very good results from other home brewers so I figure I will give it a whirl. Porters are dark so you won't see a ton of clearing but it will clear it up some.
Next on the docket will be another American Wheat. It happens to be a crowd pleaser around here so I need to make some more of it. Possibly a quick brew in a bag black Friday or Saturday.