Thursday, September 9, 2010

Virgin Islands Liquid Sunshine

This beer is one of the 4 I will be reviewing in the next couple of weeks. It came as part of the Beer of the Month club this month and comes to us from the Virgin Islands from St. Johns Brewers. It's dubbed as a Belgian Style ale and that is very evident by the dregs left in the bottom of the bottle after the pour. The color is what you would expect from a Belgian beer, it's golden but also extremely cloudy. That sticks with the style very well. It pours a really nice frothy head which is cotton in color. The aroma is strange and since I am a hophead it's somewhat foreign. It almost smells like skunked beer but obviously it's not. It just has a very light strange odor, certainly not of hops.

Now onto the flavor. I detect a citrus flavor and some spice also, maybe just a slight banana flavor profile (which come to think of it I think I am detecting that in the nose also.) It's not a favorite by a long shot but I would give it a 6/10 because it adheres to the style fairly well. Not sure what yeast they used here but assume one of the popular Belgian styles. The beer might be a little over-carbonated as you can really feel it hit your tastebuds when you take a drink. I have another beer by these same guys to review, I will have that up later this week or early next.

Slainte

No comments: