Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Check Up Time Little RIPA

Tonight I did some brewery activities. First, I needed to rack that Citra IPA I brewed a couple weeks ago on the Zymatic so I went ahead and got that completed. I didn't check gravity but it's been a couple weeks so it should be good by now. I'm considering dry hopping this one but I don't know if I have any good hops that go with this recipe on hand.

I also checked in on the Pico C fermentation of the Little RIPA I have going. The first brix reading before I pitched the yeast was somewhere around 18.8. Might have been slightly less. I checked it tonight to see how it was going and while there was pressure release, it didn't seem too crazy. Brix checked out though at 10.6 which makes this a FG of 1.0201, so an ABV of 6.8%. That is slightly higher than the estimated of 6.3 but all things being equal, it's possible I got better extraction out of it that they expect out of the machine. I also remembered there were some dry hops in the freezer for this batch so I threw them in also today. They can run about 4-5 days and then I will end up kegging it up. I ordered a Torpedo keg from Morebeer.com which I should get by the end of the week. While I like the idea of the little serving keg they give you, I would much rather put it in a corny, force carb, and drink in a couple days. One thing they note is you should crash it in the fridge for a few days so I may do that on Friday, keg Sunday, and brew the next batch on Memorial Day. I have 2 recipes on hand to brew so I am ready to get this moving. Almost wish I had more brewing kegs...........:)

5/23 - I put the keg of the Citra IPA in the fridge tonight because I want to crash the yeast out of it before I keg it up this weekend. Looking forward to possibly brewing two batches on the C this weekend. More to come.

No comments: