Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Updates On New Brews

I've been making beers every other week for the most part for the last month. One mishap occurred when I ended up siphoning off half a batch of 21.3 IPA onto the floor of the brew shop. I have been using a racking cane to rack into a Torpedo keg and when I lifted it up to get the siphon moving the end of the hose jumped out of the keg. Took me a minute to realize what happened but by that point alcohol abuse was in full swing all over the floor. The good news is that the beer that made it into the keg and later carbonated turned out really well. I was impressed with what was produced in that batch and I will order that Pico pak again and give it another try. It may have been good enough to try to knock out a double batch in one day in order to get a bigger keg. I also brewed Stargazer IPA a week or so ago and dry hopped it this week. That one should get kegged up on Saturday if there is a free keg available.

Next thing I plan to work on is a recipe for the Zymatic as I feel I have been neglecting that machine as of late with the ease of use of the C. With the Pico C I can start a brew, go do other things for a couple hours, and come back to completed wort. The Zymatic is similar but with the step filter issues and cracks, I do feel like I shouldn't just leave it for hours and walk away. I tend to check on it every half hour during the brew process. There are a couple of batches that I have on hand that haven't been brewed just yet. There is a BVIP (Denny!) that I think I may brew up this weekend and I think I have an IPA still to brew that takes some maple syrup which should be an interesting beer to try. There are a lot of interesting new beers on the marketplace that I want to try - Bad Jimmy's Imperial IPA, Sluggy Buggy Oatmeal Stout, and Belgium is a Country by Stickman.

No comments: